Living in Perugia, I would be amiss to not comment on the sentencing of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito in the murder of Meredith Kercher.
Almost every time we go to the old part of Perugia we walk by the house where the murder took place.
My Dad tried to send Amanda a Bible while she was in prison. The Bible was sent back.
"Do you think she is guilty?" is the question everyone asks of us.
The feeling I get is that the press and the judicial system made a decision before the evidence was in. In fact, it still seems like the evidence is not clear to anyone.
We grieve with Meredith's family and want justice to be served. But was justice served? It's hard to know.
Two fears cross my mind as I conclude my ramblings:
1. How just is the Italian judicial system? Are you innocent until proven guilty or guilty until proven innocent?
2. How will this murder, trial and verdict affect the spirit of "Antiamericanism", which already makes our living here challenging at times?

Interesting that she sent the Bible back. I saw her family on Oprah last week and from the footage I figured she was a student at the University of Foreigners where we sang. Eerie. I thought of you and your family and wondered what your take was on all of it. From what her parents said it seems like she was wrongfully convicted.... but from other reports I had my doubts. Strange. I hope that if she DIDN'T do it that she'll have a new trial and be released. Any chance of that happening from what you are witnessing there? Beautiful Perugia. Someday I want to visit there again with my husband. Your ministry there is always coming to my mind. You and Melodee, your parents, your brothers... the whole family are continually in my prayers. Keep the faith old friend. I know your work there is challenging as you said... but God's word will never return void. With much love and respect!! -Holly (Barrett)
ReplyDelete